The 60-70 day point in many workout plans is where the visible improvements seem to taper, the body reaches a weariness in its soreness that seems like it can't get worse, and the mind starts questioning the point of it all.
I don't really view this as a "workout" plan, but rather a "life plan". Regardless, it's happened. The dead of winter doesn't help either, and this early February cold is a lot to fight with. Getting out of the house is tremendously difficult sometimes, particularly on those -8 degree mornings.
So I ask why. Interestingly, I usually ask before a run. Rarely during. Never after. Afterward I have my answer. Many times this cycle repeats. Many have tried to give a good response to the question over time, but ultimately I don't think there is an answer.
The question is "Why run?".
I believe when Kant determined that good of will is the only absolute and universal good, he didn't have running in mind. It's hard to bring to mind any part of running that is foul, mischevious, manipulating, bad of will. It doesn't bring harm to others, only happiness to the runner. It is an activity rich with innocence, yet simultaneously arduous and challenging.
Does running make one happy? Well, no, not really. Yes. Sometimes. This is where the question becomes difficult to answer. It doesn't always bring joy or happiness. Sometimes it's the most difficult thing one does all month, or all year, rich with pain, sweat, sometimes blood. Leg injury, dehydration, and other issues can result. But it feels good. That good feeling brings a general happiness to all aspects of the runner's life. It feels right. That pursuit of something that feels like doing the right thing encourages doing the right thing in other aspects of life.
Ultimately, it is subjective. People run for different things. Personally, the reasons I run fluctuate constantly, and interestingly enough each reason is a plenty good one. It's a way of life, not just one activity, and it changes the runner for the better.
Bringing this back around– each day I feel like I'm in a low point, when it's 0 degrees with 10mph winds and my shins are sore from the last two days, those are the days I read half a book on running, or watch a documentary. I remind myself why it is good by watching others in the moment of doing it. Observing that everlasting rhythm of feet hitting this planet, in constant and relentless pursuit of nothing but the push to make the mind and body do more than before. To be more than I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment